Thursday, January 05, 2006

Movie Reviews.

So, in my spare time, I do nothing but watch movies, pretty much anything that HBO has on at the time. Being that this is my own blog, I'm going to excercise my power of opinion and share with you, the readers, my own thoughts/comments/reviews on movies.

Now...Siskel and Ebert had their "thumbs", and I, Ray Chong Chen, would like to introduce to you, my own personal units of rating:

Riddicks!

At this point, you're probably asking yourself..."What in the hell? Vin Diesel? Chronicles of Riddick?" Yes, beloved reader, that's right. Chronicles of Riddick. Most hated it, I enjoyed it. When I give my opinions of a movie, I don't listen to what critics have to say. I don't search hard for the deeper meanings of the movie, the subtle undertones...nay, I base my opinion purely on entertainment value. Production value? What's that?! Intriguiging plot that draws the audience in? Meh, it's a plus, but not entirely mandatory. Substitute in a hottie in place of a good script, and you've got yourself a winner!(Honey, anyone?)

What I can't stand is a movie that tries too hard...you know the type. A script written overnight by an upstart screenwriter whose hung out at one too many Starbucks for his own good. A cast consisting of talented, yet relatively outside the spectrum of the standard "Hollywood" superstar. The type of thesps that travel to the Sundance Film Festival year in and year out trying to sign on to some indie film that'll jumpstart their careers. Another important element to a movie that tried too hard is the seemingly artistic director who's not afraid to put burn marks into his film in order to seem profound. Most importantly, however, is the soundtrack that consists of neo-pseudo trip hop/jazz where the album cover is purposely shot out of focus. I won't point fingers or name names, but if you ever watch a movie that has no point, you'll think back to this post and know exactly what I mean.

In any case, if you watch a movie, and it makes you happy, or sad, or makes you feel anything at all, in my book, it's a good movie. With that said, allow me to explain how the "Riddicks" will be used to rate movies:

*All given ratings will be a fraction of a total of 5 Riddicks.


2 out of 5 Riddicks indicates that a movie is sub-par while,



4 out of 5 Riddicks indicates an exceptional film.


Sometimes, you may see this:

This represents half a Riddick, usually you'll see this when a movie has enough in it for a fraction of a Riddick, but not enough to get another full Riddick.

So, stick around, get comfortable with the site, and I hope to have a couple reviews on here by the time you get back. Good night!

1 comment:

Miss Tina said...

wow ray, seems like you're really getting into the whole blog thing.

ray's blog = 3.5 riddicks